Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Nets That Catch Minnows But Not Sharks

A long time ago I let you know about the FCC rules that now dictate that if a blogger (such as myself) were to get a free sample of - let's say yarn, for argument's sake - and were then to mention that yarn or brand name on my blog, I must also clearly post that I have profited from my relationship with that maker. Even if I recommend that yarn because I truly believe it's a wonderful product; even if I have in the past refrained from recommending other yarns that were sent to me as free samples.

Well, my darling readers, evidently we unpaid bloggers are held to standards that your highly paid newscasts and talk shows can blithely disregard. They can run what amounts to extended paid advertising, pretend it's legitimate 'news' (often under the guise of 'consumer interest' stories), and never reveal to the audience that they are watching commercials for products, rather than unbiased reportage.

You can read further about this in the L.A. Times here and here.

Aren't you glad that you have huge staffs of tax-paid governmental employees - many of whom have bigger paychecks and better benefits than you do - ever on the alert to protect you from the predatory minnows of the blogosphere? If you keep your eyes on that, you might not feel the shark gnawing on your leg quite so keenly...

3 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Thanks for the articles....media are sharks to all of us!

Ogbeifun E. said...

Eileen, you are agreat writer. Thanks to social media technology.

Ogbeifun E. said...

Eileen, you are agreat writer. Thanks to social media technology.